Jukasa News Update Wednesday, September 6, 2017
Health officials in Australia are warning the public about a potentially fatal parasite that is disproportionately affecting indigenous communities.
Strongyloidiasis – commonly known as threadworm – is reported to be infecting up to 60 percent of adults in indigenous communities of northern Australia.
The parasitic infection causes gastrointestinal distress, coughing and a hives like rash. Doctors say the parasite can spread quickly through a hyperinfection phase – and in many of those cases with a mortality rate of 85 to 90 percent.
Researchers say they are still unclear about how the infection is being spread — which affects about 370 million people worldwide.
OPP officers worked with protesters Monday evening to dismantle barricades on Highway 6 in Caledonia.
OPP spokesperson Rodney LeClair says the group of protesters dispersed on their own after police moved in the early evening to remove tires and trees to block the highway 6 bypass.
Protesters moved the original barricades on Argyle Street south in response to the outcry from locals on both Six Nations and Caledonia that the road being blocked was affecting their livelihood.
All roads were cleared and opened by police on Tuesday afternoon.
Haldimand County council is seeking compensation from the province for losses from the blockade protesters put up at Argyle Street last month.
County Councillor Craig Grice told local media businesses on Six Nations and Caledonia were thriving before the barricades were erected on August 10th.
Grice says the county will try to help facilitate the process of compensation for their losses in any way they can.
The barricades were in response to an injunction on the Burtch lands in Brant County – 30 kilometres from the blockade.
Local residents expressed frustration with protesters, saying that while they supported the groups right to protest – blocking the roadway in Caledonia for a matter in Brant County did not make sense.
Canada’s largest school board says it will continue to block those using its Wi-Fi from accessing certain apps and websites.
The Toronto District School Board says it is extending its ban on Snapchat, Instagram and Netflix in an effort to alleviate the strain on its network.
The board first barred the social media apps and movie streaming site this spring, saying they accounted for 20 per cent of the network’s daily activity.
It says teachers reported faster internet speeds and, as a result, were able to complete key tasks such as attendance and registration.