Jukasa News Update – Monday, October 25, 2021
The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation says it is still waiting for records from the federal government related to residential schools, despite a comment from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that all federal records have been provided.
Trudeau told a gathering of Tk’emlups te Secwepemc leaders, residential school survivors and their families in Kamloops, B.C., that “all the records in possession of the federal government have already been turned over” to the centre in Winnipeg.
He said Ottawa would look for further records, such as those held by the Catholic Church, which operated most of the 140 institutions between 1831 and 1996.
In a written statement, the national centre says it’s still waiting for the federal government to provide the final versions of school narratives and supporting documents used in the assessment process for compensation claims stemming from abuse at the institutions, including the Kamloops Indian Residential School.
Ontario is lifting capacity limits at restaurants, gyms, casinos and some other locations where proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required.
If museums and galleries, places of worship, and personal care settings choose to require proof of vaccination, they can also lift capacity limits.
Premier Doug Ford announced the development Friday as he unveiled plans for managing the pandemic long term.
The province aims to remove all public health measures meant to slow the spread of COVID-19 by late March, including mask mandates.
Proof-of-vaccination requirements will start to be lifted early next year _ as long as trends don’t become concerning _ starting with restaurants, bars, gyms and casinos in January.
Ford describes his approach to loosening restrictions as “super cautious.”
Ontario is reporting 370 new COVID-19 cases and one more death linked to the virus.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says 247 cases are among people who are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown immunization status.
She says 123 of the latest patients are fully vaccinated.
The numbers are based on 25,328 completed tests.
The province says 137 people are in intensive care with virus-related critical illness, including 97 people on ventilators.
The province says about 88 per cent of Ontario residents aged 12 and older have one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and about 84 per cent have received both shots.
While many parents were overjoyed at the news that Health Canada is considering approval of the first COVID-19 vaccine for kids age five to 11 in Canada, some are not fully convinced it is the right option.
While 82 per cent of eligible Canadians aged 12 and up are already fully vaccinated, a recent survey by Angus Reid shows only 51 per cent of parents plan to immediately vaccinate their kids when a pediatric dose becomes available.
Of parents with children in the five to 11 year age range, 23 per cent said they would never give their kids a COVID-19 vaccine, 18 per cent said they would wait, and nine per cent said they weren’t sure, according to the survey of 5,011 Canadians.
In particular, parents aren’t sure there is a need to vaccinate children due to a low chance of sever outcomes in COVID infections in children and are concerned about the rare incidents of mRNA vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna being linked to cases of myocarditis, a swelling of the heart muscle.
So far Pfizer-BioNtech is the only manufacturer to request approval for its pediatric COVID-19 vaccine and Health Canada is still reviewing the data.
The regulator has promised the review will be thorough, and the vaccine will only be approved for children if the benefits outweigh the potential risks.
Ontario is set to lift all COVID-19 public health measures by the end of March, including mask mandates, as part of a long-term plan for managing the virus.
Premier Doug Ford said Ontario is in a position to do that thanks to the province’s careful approach to reopening and the resulting stability in case counts, hospitalizations and ICU admissions.
The easing of restrictions will start Monday, with capacity limits lifted in restaurants, bars, gyms, casinos and indoor meeting and event spaces.
If museums and galleries, places of worship, and personal care settings require proof of vaccination, they can lift capacity limits on Monday too.
Proof-of-vaccination requirements will also start to be lifted early next year _ as long as trends don’t become concerning _ starting with restaurants, bars, gyms and casinos in January.
Ontario is aiming to lift all remaining measures, including masking requirements and proof of vaccination in other settings such as sporting events, on March 28, 2022.
By then, chief medical officer of health Dr. Kieran Moore said, hopefully enough Ontarians are immunized, including children aged five to 11, so the virus can’t find hosts in which to reproduce.
- Previous Jukasa News Update – Thursday, October 21, 2021
- Next Jukasa News Update – Monday, November 1, 2021