Jukasa News Update Tuesday, February 20, 2018
A scare at a Six Nations last week when a senior elementary school went into lockdown after threats of potential violence to a student were reported.
JC Hill School in Ohsweken issued a letter home to parents saying the Six Nations Police were notified of the threat and launched an immediate investigation.
Parents of students from the school say it was feared an accused female student was bringing a gun to school to harm another student.
JC Hill school says Six Nations Police prevented the accused student from entering the school.
The letter home says the school can no longer comment on the matter.
No details from Police have yet been released.
Six Nations Elected Council is warning residents about door to door salespeople approaching homes.
A statement from the council says a local business known as The Elephas Group has been approaching homes on Six Nations to sell burial insurance plans and final expense insurance.
The council says they do not endorse this group or the insurance they are selling.
Residents should always ask door to door salespeople that show up at their homes to produce the letter granting them permission to conduct sales on the territory and not to give out personal information to anyone conducting sales without it.
Six Nations Elected Council says they are supporting the call for a national inquiry into the investigation and trial of Gerald Stanley.
Stanley was acquitted earlier this month on all charges in the shooting death of 22 year old Colten Boushie from the Red Pheasant First Nation in Saskatchewan.
Elected Chief Ava Hill says a promise was made by the federal government to protect indigenous rights, but says the justice system does not work for all equally.
Hill is calling for change to the justice system and the Council is supporting the call to develop a national strategy that addresses racism in Canada.
Last week coming changes to indigenous peoples legal framework were announced by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in part as a response to Stanley’s acquittal.
A northern Manitoba fly-in community is running low on heating fuel as heavy snow prevents trucks from bringing more.
Sayisi Dene First Nation Chief Tony Powderhorn says the snow has delayed the opening of a winter road that Tadoule Lake counts on for its yearly fuel supply.
The region is in the midst of an intense cold snap and Powderhorn says the fuel is needed to heat more than 100 homes.
Band councillor Clifford Anderson says he’s aware of three homes which have run out of fuel and are relying on wood stoves.
Powderhorn says community leaders are working with Manitoba Hydro and the local airport to bring in a backup supply of fuel until the winter road opens Feb. 28.
Some Manitoba survivors of the ’60s Scoop are encouraging others to opt out of a settlement with the federal government.
The survivors, who include two Manitoba plaintiffs in a class-action lawsuit, say they were not consulted and suggest that lawyers will walk away with more money than the Indigenous people who were hurt by the adoptions.
In October, the government announced that it had reached an agreement with about 20,000 survivors, who are each to receive a payout between $25,000 and $50,000.
Survivors are trying to get 2,000 others to opt out of the settlement by May to negotiate for a better deal.
- Previous Jukasa News Update Friday, February 16, 2018
- Next Jukasa News Update Wednesday, February 21, 2018
0 thoughts on “Jukasa News Update Tuesday, February 20, 2018”