Jukasa News Update – Wednesday, November 4, 2020
Six Nations took an encouraging slow down in new coronavirus cases reported this week.
The latest update shows there are 9 active cases with no new positive cases diagnosed. In the last week there were 5 lab confirmed COVID-19 cases on Six Nations.
Meanwhile, Brant County Health Unit is seeing a surge in cases with a total of 49 new cases confirmed in one week, the highest single week case total since the beginning of the pandemic. Currently BCHU is reporting 62 active cases with 4 people in the hospital in stable condition.
That region is also reporting a number of outbreaks, including one at the Salon Mirage location in Lynden Park Mall.
In Haldimand-Norfolk there are 26 active cases with a total of 8 new confirmed cases in the last seven days.
Canada’s top physician announced new national standards for cloth masks.
Dr. Theresa Tam unveiled the new Public Health Agency of Canada recommendations, saying face masks should be made of at least two layers of tightly woven fabric with a middle layer including a filter type fabric.
Tam says the most important thing about effective mask wearing is ensuring a proper fit around the nose and mouth, but that it should be comfortable and breathable.
Ontario rolled out a new tiered system Tuesday that will determine when and to what extent coronavirus restrictions are placed on parts of the province.
Areas with the lowest case counts, positivity rates and community transmission levels will fall into a green category with the most permissive rules. The colour-coded system then moves upward through yellow, orange and red with increasingly strict measures, topped off by a grey “lockdown” level where the most stringent protocols would be implemented.
The framework goes into effect on Saturday, allowing restrictions previously treated as hot spots including Toronto, Peel Region and Ottawa to loosen up. The softer rules mean gyms and cinemas can reopen and indoor dining will resume with capacity limits following closures under “modified Stage 2” measures imposed Oct. 10.
A woman has lost her job after posting violent commentary to social media, saying demonstrators at the McKenzie Meadows “Land Back” dispute should have been shot.
The woman was reacting to a video of demonstrators burning hydro poles and tires on Argyle Street in Caledonia late last month, and said that demonstrators should have been shot in the head.
Further comments posted to her Facebook stated that she did not believe her comments were racist but said that demonstrators were “acting like wild animals” and that they “should be treated like wild animals.”
Critics reported the woman’s comments to her place of employment, Battlefield International, which was advertised on her Facebook profile.
Steve Fenton, President for Battlefield International posted a statement to Facebook confirming the woman had been fired for making those comments and called on other businesses in the area to take similar action saying it was the right thing to do.
- Previous Jukasa News Update – Tuesday, November 3, 2020
- Next Jukasa News Update – Monday, November 9, 2020