Jukasa News Update – Monday, December 28, 2020
No one was hurt in a large explosion at a Hamilton steel plant that sent a dark cloud over the city’s east end on Christmas Day, police said.
Hamilton police acting Staff Sgt. Jason Leek said Friday the blast took place in a furnace area of the Stelco facility that was unstaffed at the time, and all employees are accounted for.
The Stelco complex is big and the explosion occurred at least a kilometre from any residences, so no evacuations were required and no injuries have been reported, he said.
Leek said the incident caused “quite a cloud” but it dissipated quickly and police are not aware of any safety or environmental concerns.
“It’s one of those things that looked a lot worse than it actually is,” he said.
The Ministry of the Environment has been called to investigate, as is required.
The cause of the explosion has not yet been determined.
Ten correctional officers have been charged with crimes ranging from manslaughter to criminal negligence causing death in connection with the 2019 death of an Inuk man in a St. John’s jail.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary announced the charges in a Tuesday news release that didn’t include the officers’ identities, when they were arrested or under what conditions they were released.
RNC Const. James Cadigan said in an interview that the correctional officers’ identities will not be released until the charges are sworn in court, which he said must happen before Feb. 11, when the 10 officers are due before a judge.
Cadigan said the 10 correctional officers were released under conditions set by police and that they have not received a bail hearing.
The charges follow the death of Jonathan Henoche, a 33-year-old Inuk man from Labrador, who died at Her Majesty’s Penitentiary on Nov. 6, 2019, after an alleged altercation with correctional officers. He had been awaiting trial on charges including first-degree murder in relation to the 2016 death of an 88-year-old woman in Labrador.
Shortly after Henoche died, police announced his death was being investigated as a homicide.
Ontario reported 2,005 cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, marking the 13th straight day the province has seen upwards of 2,000 new diagnoses.
The province also announced another 18 deaths linked to the virus.
It says 823 people were hospitalized with COVID-19 as of Sunday, including 285 people in intensive care and 194 on ventilators.
Also Sunday, the province announced it had detected its third case of a contagious new strain of the virus that causes COVID-19.
Public Health Ontario says the patient is from the Ottawa area, and recently returned from the U.K., where the coronavirus variant was first discovered.
The province logged its first two known cases of the variant on Saturday, in a couple from Durham Region who were in contact with someone who had travelled the U.K.
Public Health Ontario said it is screening large volumes of positive COVID samples to investigate how prevalent the U.K. variant is in the province.
But health officials are not planning to report the different strains out separately in provincial summary reports.
The City of Mississauga, Ont., has confirmed a COVID-19 outbreak among Fire and Emergency Services staff.
The city says 11 firefighters and staff have tested positive for COVID-19.
An additional 36 staff have been told to self-isolate and the city says the outbreak has impacted four fire stations.
Acting Fire Chief Nancy Macdonald-Duncan says crews will be adjusted with firefighters from other stations.
The city says its fire stations are not open to the public and staff wear full protective equipment during calls.
Peel Public Health is working with the city to notify impacted staff and ensure protocols are being followed.
- Previous Jukasa News Update – Monday, December 21, 2020
- Next Jukasa News Update – Monday, January 4, 2021