Jukasa News Update – Thursday, November 12, 2020
Hamilton police say an investigation is underway after a statue of Sir John A. Macdonald was vandalized.
Police say the statue was covered in red paint.
Detectives say they believe a handful of people were involved in a disturbance in the area of the statute between 1 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. on Monday.
Investigators are asking residents living near Gore Park or anybody passing through the area early Monday morning to check their surveillance cameras for suspicious activity.
The Quebec government is investing $3.1 million for a new Native Friendship Centre in a city that was recently shaken by the death of an Indigenous woman in a local hospital.
Indigenous Affairs Minister Ian Lafreniere says in a statement that the new facility in Joliette, Que., will include a health clinic, which was launched last month in response to the Indigenous population’s reluctance to seek health services.
In a statement, Jennifer Brazeau, executive director of the centre, says the new facility will offer services in a space where the Indigenous population of the region northeast of Montreal will be welcomed with dignity.
Ottawa will immediately provide more than $61 million to help Indigenous communities in Manitoba fight the COVID-19 pandemic, a move that Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller said was prompted by the province’s alarming rise in cases.
The new money will support public health measures, food security and other surge capacity needs. Indigenous Services Canada is mobilizing people to do contact tracing and sending equipment to affected communities.
The funding will include $38 million for public health services, $3 million for personal care homes, $3.4 million for community infrastructure improvements and $17 million for Indigenous communities on reserve.
Survivors of the notorious ’60s Scoop are set to mark a key milestone with the launch of a $50-million foundation aimed at healing the damage wrought by the practice of taking Indigenous children from their families and placing them in non-Indigenous homes.
Establishment of the foundation was part of a hard-fought class-action settlement and a key demand of a lead plaintiff in the case.
Thursday’s virtual event will see the ceremonial investiture of a 10-member board for the Sixties Scoop Healing Foundation that will comprise of Indigenous directors.
The ’60s Scoop arose out of government policy under which Indigenous children were taken from their families and placed in non-Indigenous homes over a period of about three decades. The federal government maintained it was acting in the best interests of the children.
In what became a years-long legal struggle, survivors successfully sued the government for their loss of heritage, culture and family ties. Ultimately, in 2017, the government agreed to pay $800 million — $50 million of which was earmarked for the foundation.
- Previous Jukasa News Update – Monday, November 9, 2020
- Next Jukasa News Update – Monday, November 16, 2020