Jukasa News Update Tuesday February 11, 2020
About 20 protesters blocked the area of Highway 6 in solidarity with the people of Wet’suwet’en territory opposing the Coastal Gas Link Pipeline.
It was one of several solidarity demonstrations held across the country blocking traffic and rail lines to draw attention to the actions of heavily armed RCMP officers who removed hereditary chiefs and their supporters from Wet’suwet’en territory.
A railing blockade at Tyendinaga is now entering its 6th day. The blockade near Six Nations on Highway 6 ended at just about 10pm on Monday evening.
Brantford Police have arrested 2 men and are looking for two others in the cites first homicide of the year.
A 42 year old man was shot and killed at the Galaxy Motel in Brantford on Colborne Street. Two others were found to be suffering from gunshot wounds and remain in hospital. The incident is not believed to be a random act of violence. Police say they have two suspects in custody but would not release their names. Now, investigators say they are looking for two other men. Wanted by police are, 35-year-old Roger Earl VanEvery of Brantford and 22-year-old Shajjad Hossain Idrish of Hamilton are both wanted by police. Both are facing murder and attempted murder charges. Police say VanEvery is related to a couple who were murdered in their home in Brantford last year – but say they two cases are not related. Police say the pair are believed to be armed and are asking members of the public to call 911 immediately if they are seen.
Premier Doug Ford’s government said it is considering allowing cannabis lounges and cafes as it moves toward an open market for pot in the province, and is asking the public to weigh in on the proposal.
The government said Monday it will consult on the possibility of so-called “consumption venues” as well as special occasion permits that would apply to outdoor festivals and concerts.
In a posting on its regulatory registry, which closes March 10, the government said it wants to hear from the public before committing to any direction, and gave no timeline to make changes.
The Progressive Conservative government has said its ultimate goal is an open cannabis market, but a supply shortage forced it to start with a limited lottery system for retail licences shortly after marijuana was legalized in 2018.
The federal government is launching a new set of consultations with Indigenous groups that will determine if and how they might take part in ownership of the Trans Mountain pipeline and its expansion project, Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced Monday.
Up to 129 communities will be consulted over the next weeks to ensure they have a chance for “meaningful economic participation” in the Ottawa-owned pipeline, the minister said at an event in Calgary.
Several Indigenous groups have expressed interest in buying a stake in the pipeline but the government hasn’t said when it plans to sell it.
The federal government will earn a return on its investment when it sells Trans Mountain despite the release last week of a new construction cost estimate for its expansion of $12.6 billion, an increase of 70 per cent over the previous forecast of $7.4 billion.
The government expects to earn $500 million a year in taxes from Trans Mountain after the expansion begins operating, he added.
An investigation into allegations that an Indigenous hockey player faced racist taunts during a recent game in Cape Breton has determined the verbal abuse was not based on race.
However, the player’s father has rejected the report’s findings, saying Hockey Nova Scotia shouldn’t be telling his teenaged son how he should feel about what really happened on the ice.
Phillip Prosper says his 16-year-old son Logan told him he was playing in a game in Cheticamp, N.S., last December when he heard a member the rival team say, “All natives look like turds.”
Prosper, whose family is from the Waycobah First Nation, says the investigation by a former police officer determined one player had said those words, but the investigator determined the “remark was not racial.”
As well, the report dismissed online allegations that similar comments were made by parents in the stands.
Prosper says he’s considering filing a complaint with Hockey Canada or the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission.
Newly released documents show Ottawa has spent more than $8 million in legal fees in the ongoing human rights case over First Nations child welfare.
Cindy Blackstock, executive director of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society, which filed the human rights complaint 13 years ago, obtained the documents through the Access to Information Act.
Blackstock says she believes the government has likely spent more than $8 million on this case since she filed the complaint in 2007, and expressed disappointment that so much has been spent in court rather than immediately compensating Indigenous children and families.
- Previous Jukasa News Update Thursday, February 6, 2020
- Next Jukasa News Update Tuesday February 18, 2020