Jukasa News Update – Tuesday, January 9, 2018
Alberta is crafting a formal apology to Indigenous people for the infamous ’60s Scoop.
Children’s Services Minister Danielle Larivee says the government will hold six sessions around the province starting later this month to hear from survivors.
Larivee says the information will form the foundation of a formal government apology and guide future actions on reconciliation and healing.
A senator who famously declared “some good” came out of Canada’s residential schools, was removed from the Conservative Party caucus after refusing to remove a “racist” comment from her website.
Officials for the Conservatives said in a statement that Beyak had posted approximately 100 letters from Canadians in support of her position on residential schools to her Parliamentary website.
The statement said Senator Lynn Beyak was removed from the Conservative National Caucus late last week. Officials said Racism will not be tolerated in the Conservative caucus or Conservative Party of Canada.
Ottawa says the national unemployment rate was 5.7 per cent in December. Statistics Canada released seasonally adjusted unemployment rates for major cities. Brantford came in at 4.7% unemployment doing better than Kitchener-Cambridge and Waterloo at 4.9%.
Toronto was hovering around a 6% unemployment rate while Hamilton came in at just about 4.5%.
A US judge refused to delay and limit the scope of the upcoming trial of a Denver woman accused of shooting at police while protesting the Dakota Access oil pipeline.
U.S. District Judge issued a decision Tuesday saying he would not allow any discussion about treaty agreements between the U.S. government and Native American tribes or protest activity in the months leading up to her arrest.
Fallis is accused of firing a handgun three times at officers during her arrest.
She has pleaded not guilty to federal civil disorder and weapons charges and is to stand trial beginning Jan. 29.
If convicted of all counts she would face a minimum prison sentence of 10 years and the possibility of life behind bars.
The overdose-reversing medication naloxone saved the life of man in Simcoe who appeared to suffering from an opioid overdose.
Police were called to a motel Saturday afternoon after reports of a man in medical distress.
After determining that the man seemed to be suffering from an opioid overdose, an officer administered three doses of naloxone.
The man regained consciousness and was transported to a hospital.
Ontario Provincial Police say this is the second time naloxone administration has saved a life in Norfolk County.
The Ontario government announced in December that it would offer naloxone to all of the province’s police and fire departments as part of an effort to combat the rising opioid crisis.
An independent investigation will be done into how the RCMP responded to a call that an Indigenous man had walked away from a care home in northern Saskatchewan.
Police say the 59-year-old missing man was found dead along a rural road on Dec. 27 — the morning after he disappeared from the home outside Prince Albert.
Local Mounties say in a release that foul play is not suspected, but an initial review determined that their response “may not have been sufficient.”
The Saskatoon Police Service is to conduct the external review.
The Saskatchewan RCMP has also requested that the Justice Ministry appoint an independent observer.
An internal RCMP review is also underway.
Mounties are not releasing the dead man’s name and say no further information will be released for now.
- Previous Jukasa Radio Update – Thursday, January 4, 2018
- Next Jukasa News Update – Thursday, January 11, 2018