Jukasa News Update Tuesday, May 23, 2017
The head of the national inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women says the commission accepts full responsibility for delays and poor communication but more time and money are needed to finish work that has already been done.
Marion Buller responded Friday to concerns outlined in an open letter from more than 30 advocates, aboriginal leaders and family members that the process is in “serious trouble.”
Buller says there is a communications problem with the inquiry and does not believe it is a problem of leadership.
A Manitoba indigenous leader plans to walk 120 kilometres next month in commemoration of Canada’s 150th birthday.
Derek Nepinak, grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, said his Walk to Remember is to celebrate indigenous resilience through the assimilation, genocide and elimination policies of Canada towards indigenous people since Confederation.
Along with a number of supporters, Nepinak plans to cover the 120-kilometre distance over four days starting June 16.
A police watchdog will include the recent cases of two teens in its systemic review of how the Thunder Bay Police Service investigates the deaths and disappearances of Indigenous people.
17-year-old Tammy Keeash and 14-year-old Josiah Begg of Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation both died in seperate drownings in May of this year.
When the review was launched last year, the agency’s director said that alarming questions were raised about the way Thunder Bay police have investigated the disappearances and deaths of indigenous people in the community.
Foul play is not suspected in the death of an eight-year-old boy who was found in a northwestern Ontario provincial park.
Ontario Provincial Police say they were called to Rushing River Provincial Park to investigate reports of a missing person Saturday evening.
The boy, whose name has not been released, was found dead early Sunday.
Police say they don’t suspect foul play at this time, but are waiting for Tuesday’s post-mortem examination before officially ruling it out.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians “are shocked by the news of the horrific attack in Manchester.”
Police in the English city say at least 22 people including some children were killed and at least 50 injured by an explosion at an Ariana Grande on Monday night.
Local authorities say they are treating the incident as a terrorist attack.