Please enter your username and email address. Get new password
Register Now

Jukasa News Update – Wednesday December 13, 2017


Provincial Chief Isadore Day says he and Quebec Regional Chief Ghislain Picard are leading discussions on how First Nations communities will address the impacts of pot legalization.
Day says he fears for Indigenous community safety because the federal government is moving so quickly with its plan to legalize cannabis by July 2018.
Day also calls it embarrassing that Indigenous leaders weren’t invited to take part in Monday’s talks between finance ministers on cannabis revenue sharing.
Ottawa announced a two-year agreement — giving 75 per cent of cannabis tax revenues to the provinces and territories while Ottawa retains the remaining 25 per cent.

A man who says he was badly abused at one of Ontario’s now-defunct training schools has launched a class-action against the province.
The provincial training schools for boys and girls aged eight to 16 operated between 1931 until 1984.
The case alleges the students in the schools were physically, sexually and psychologically abused while they were wards of the Crown.
The suit is seeking $500 million in general damages and another $100 million in punitive damages, alleging the province was negligent, failed in the expected standard of care, and breached its duty toward its students.

 Municipalities can begin discussions with Ontario over costs associated with legalized marijuana in light of a new tax revenue-sharing agreement between the provinces and federal government, Premier Kathleen Wynne said Tuesday Ottawa agreed to give provinces and territories a 75 per cent share of federal excise tax revenues from the sale of legalized pot.
The remaining 25 per cent _ to a maximum of $100 million a year _ will stay with the federal government. Federal revenues above $100 million will also go to the provinces and territories.
Municipalities have said they will shoulder most of the costs of marijuana legalization and also say they want funding to offset the expense.

British Columbia has launched a strategy to prevent, screen and diagnose cancer among Indigenous people aimed at increasing survival rates.
Annette Morgan, president of the B.C. Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres, says systemic racism prevents Indigenous cancer patients from seeking care, which delays diagnosis.
She says a strategy that includes her organization and two others providing First Nations’ perspectives will enable Indigenous people to feel safe and lead to more equitable access to care.

An all-weather road linking two Manitoba First Nations and the provincial highway network is now complete.
The 70-kilometre road connects Berens River with the Bloodvein First Nation and includes three bridges.
Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler says the permanent road will improve people’s lives.
Schuler says First Nations communities were contracted for clearing land and producing gravel as part of the road’s construction.
Officials for the two communities say the road will open up economic and tourism opportunities.

0 thoughts on “Jukasa News Update – Wednesday December 13, 2017”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *