Jukasa Radio News Update Monday, October 29, 2018
Concerns raised by the family of an Indigenous teen who died in northern Ontario more than four decades ago have prompted the province’s police force to take a fresh look at the case
The death of 19-year-old Audrey Anderson had been ruled an accident in 1972 when her body was found by the side of a road in Sioux Lookout, Ont.
Police now say“inconsistencies” have emerged, prompting law enforcement and medical officials to take another look at the girls death.
Anderson was last seen on Oct. 11, 1972 near Sioux Lookout at a local restaurant.
Investigators at the time said she was last seen leaving the restaurant at around 1:30 a.m. in a pickup truck with two men. Her injured body was found lying on the shoulder of a road hours later.
Grassy Narrows elected chief may have died from long term mercury poisioning.
Family members of Steve Fobister Sr. are calling for an inquest into his death.
The mans family says the 66 year old died without government officials admitting they were responsible for the mercury poisoning in Grassy Narrows that has made so many people in the community sick.
Mercury contamination has plagued the English-Wabigoon River system near Grassy Narrows ever since a paper mill in Dryden, Ont., dumped 9,000 kilograms of the substance into the river systems in the 1960s. The contamination closed a thriving commercial fishery and devastated Grassy Narrows’ economy.
Fobister’s family said he suffered from a degenerative neurological disorder that was the result of mercury poisoning. Consequently, Fobister had trouble walking and chewing, they said.
An inquest into his death, they said, would help others in his community who are also dealing with similar ailments.
A spokeswoman for Ontario’s chief coroner said his office had learned of Fobister’s Oct. 11 death on Friday and would begin an investigation. A decision about holding an inquest will be made after the investigation is complete, said Cheryl Maher.
Vancouver and Niagara Falls, Ont., were added to the list of cities hit by postal disruptions this week as more Canadian Union of Postal Workers members walked off the job as part of rotating strikes.
About 3,400 CUPW members in Vancouver walked off the job early Friday, joining Canada Post employees in the Niagara and Sudbury regions of Ontario, and Saint John, N.B., who launched job action to back contract demands.
CUPW members have been conducting rotating walkouts across the country as a special mediator tries to bring the labour dispute to an end.
Canadian teenagers begin noticing gender-based inequality early on, with girls feeling the effects in sports and online, a new survey suggests.
The online survey of teens aged 12 to 17 indicates that girls are far more likely than boys to say they have been victimized by sexism.
The study says 35 per cent of girls reported discrimination against them because of their gender, compared to 21 per cent of boys..
The survey finds teens begin noticing gender inequality for the first time at around 11 years of age on average. Just over half of girls reported noticing the discrimination between the ages of 10 and 13.
The Ontario government is coming under fire for delays in the delivery of legal cannabis in the province, with critics suggesting consumers could revert back to the black market.
Just over a week after recreational marijuana became legal, the provincially run Ontario Cannabis Store website is warning consumers that delivery times for their orders may be longer than expected due to “unbelievably high demand” and labour action at Canada Post.
In a statement Thursday night, the OCS went into more detail about its response to the situation, saying it has processed more than 150,000 orders since Oct. 17.
“Ontario received more orders for cannabis online in the first 24 hours (of legalization) than all other provinces combined.
Canada’s ongoing postal strike contributed to delays.
Finance Minister Vic Fedeli said earlier this week that the government had a backup plan to ensure timely deliveries of cannabis, but said Thursday that the plan would only be implemented in the case of a general strike.
The union reported on its website Sunday night that strikes were continuing in Niagara Falls.
CUPW members have been conducting rotating walkouts across the country as mediators try to resolve the labour dispute.
- Previous Jukasa News Update Wednesday, October 24, 2018
- Next Jukasa News Update Tuesday, October 30, 2018
0 thoughts on “Jukasa Radio News Update Monday, October 29, 2018”