Jukasa News Update – Friday, February 28, 2020
The hereditary chiefs of the Wet’suwet’en are scheduled to meet for a second day with senior federal and provincial ministers today as they try to break an impasse in a pipeline dispute that’s sparked national protests and led to disruptions in the economy.
Federal Crown- Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett and British Columbia Indigenous Relations Minister Scott Fraser began the long-sought talks Thursday afternoon.
They wrapped up after about three hours with Fraser saying the talks were productive and the mood in the room was respectful.
Bennett said it was a “very good start.”
Hereditary Chief Na’moks left without making a statement.
Fraser says it wouldn’t be appropriate to release details of what was discussed.
The Senate has voted to suspend Sen. Lynn Beyak a second time over derogatory letters about Indigenous Peoples posted on her website.
Senators have approved a report from the upper house’s ethics committee, which recommended Beyak be suspended without pay for the duration of the current parliamentary session.
Beyak was kicked out of the Conservative caucus and eventually suspended without pay last May after refusing to remove the offensive letters from her website _ a suspension that ended automatically when Parliament dissolved for last fall’s federal election.
She apologized on Tuesday, after which some of her former Conservative colleagues tried unsuccessfully to refer the matter back to the committee.
However, Independent senators took the position that Beyak needed to be suspended again while undergoing anti-racism training and that the matter could be revisited after that.
Canada’s top public-health official Dr. Theresa Tam says Canada has begun to look at tracking local spread of the novel coronavirus, just as the United States confirmed a case of the virus that does not appear linked with international travel.
The risk of contracting the disease in Canada is low, but for the second day in a row Thursday the number of new cases confirmed outside China was greater than the number of new cases within the country where the illness was first detected.
Health Minister Danielle McCann said the patient, a woman from the Montreal region, had recently returned from Iran.
Earlier Thursday, Ontario confirmed its first case of person-to-person transmission. The patient is the husband of a woman believed to have contracted the virus in Iran, which has seen a sudden rash of cases in the last week.
There are 13 confirmed cases of the virus in Canada, all in Ontario or B.C., and so far all have been linked to international travel or close contact with someone who has recently returned to the country.
If Quebec’s case is confirmed, it would be the 14th confirmed case of the virus in Canada, and the first outside of Ontario and B.C.
Globally, there are 82,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and more than 2,800 deaths.
The Ontario Court of Appeal has ordered a new trial and set aside the aquittal of Peter Khill.
The Glanbrook man shot and killed Jonathan Styres, a Six Nations man in February 2016. was tried for second degree murder and acquitted in 2018 – a decision that polarized public opinion on the right to protect personal property versus injustices facing indigenous people in Canada’s justices system.
The court of appeal judge said the judge in the original trial made errors in his instructions to the jury that warranted a new trial.
Khill still faces an ongoing civil lawsuit in which Styres’ relatives are seeking more than $2 million in damages. Their lawyer, Rob Hooper, said Khill has refused to be examined until the criminal case is resolved.
- Previous Jukasa News Update – Wednesday, February 26, 2020
- Next Jukasa News Update Thursday March 5, 2020